Private Van Insurance

If you drive a van for private, personal or social use, you will need Private Van Insurance to drive legally on the road. At Call Wiser, we can compare a range of Private Van Insurance quotes from leading insurers in the UK to get you the best price.

There are lots of reasons to have a van for private use including: moving things between homes | going on family holidays | hauling your sports and leisure equipment | car boot sale

Small white van

Call us on 0333 003 3270 and speak to the experts today

Having insurance for personal vans is a necessity. The last thing you want is to drive on the road for a short period of time and find yourself involved in an accident and having to pay huge amounts in compensation and fines.

Having a van for private use can give you that extra space you need to haul important items. Whether you love water sports and need a way to transport your canoe or you find yourself constantly taking your child’s belongings back and forth from University – we understand how useful your own private van can be.

However, even if you use your van, minivan or camper van on rare occasions, it is a still legal requirement to have insurance for private vans if they are on the road. As part of the Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) which was introduced in June 2011, all vehicles on the road must be insured or faced up to 6 penalty points and a fine of £1,000, unless they have a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) in place.

What Insurance is Available?

For a Personal Van Insurance policy, the vehicle must only be used for personal use. If you decide to use the van for commercial and business purposes, it could make your policy invalid.

The type of cover available includes:

Basic Third Party – this does not cover any damages to your own vehicle or contents, but it allows you to claim any compensation paid out to third parties as a result of causing an accident to any pedestrians, other drives and property.

Third Party, Fire & Theft – in addition to covering third parties, this next step up enables you to cover any damages or repairs to your van and contents as a result of fire or theft.

EU Cover – if you like to take your van overseas as part of a family holiday, you can add EU cover to your policy to be insured in other EU countries.

Fully Comprehensive Policy – this is the highest policy level and covers third parties, fire, flood, theft and other eventualities. Plus, you can choose to cover any contents that you leave in your van at all times such as sports and leisure equipment.

How to reduce the cost of Private Use Van Insurance

The cost of your Private Use Van Insurance will depend on a number of factors and the potential risk of making a claim.

The more cover you add to your policy, the more you will typically pay. So you need to assess as the car owner how much you will use your van over the course of the year and the likelihood of being involved in an accident.

How often you drive your van and your annual mileage will be very important when assessing a quote for your policy. Obviously, the more mileage you do and more you drive, the greater risk you are getting involved in an accident and this will increase the cost of your premium.

How safe your vehicle is will also affect the premium you pay. To get the lowest Private Van Insurance, it helps if your vehicle is fairly new and has modern security measures in place such as locks, immobilisers and secure windows. This will mean your van is less likely to be stolen by thieves and since there is less risk of making a claim, the cost of your premium will reduce.

Private Van Insurance from Call Wiser

Call Wiser is a leading independent insurance broker in the UK. By working with a number of top insurance companies, we are able to compare several policies to find the right product for you. By calling us today, we will ask a few questions about your van and how often you use it. This will allow one of our insurance experts to find you a range of competitive quotes from different insurers tailored to your needs.

Our team is based in Andover, Hampshire and they are ready to take your call. You can also request a call back from our staff by filling in a few details above under ‘Get an online quote.’ But it’s completely free to call us from a landline, so why wait?

If you are part of the classic van scene, you can apply for Classic Van Insurance with us too. We can put you in touch with specialists who will be able to get the best price especially for your retro van.

Policies include:


Breakdown cover


Free claim assistance


Phone & Gadget cover


handbag and wallet cover

Call Wiser is a trading name of Be Wiser Insurance Services Ltd. Registered in England No. 6097813. Be Wiser Insurance Services Ltd are Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority 465471

Call Wiser, Riverside House, 35-37 Bridge St, Andover, Hampshire, SP10 1BE, 0333 003 3270,