Unoccupied Home Insurance

Unoccupied Home Insurance refers to covering your contents and building against any damages or repairs if your property is empty for more than 30 days. So whilst you are away, you can have the peace of mind that your home and all your valuables are protected and at Call Wiser, we compare top home insurers to find the best policy for you.

home and gardens

Call us on 0333 003 3270 and speak to the experts today

Why do you need Unoccupied Property Insurance?

When you are away from your property for more than 30 days, there is likely to be a clause if you regular home insurance that states that you won’t be covered for any damages. So if something happens to your property in your absence like a storm, flood, fire or theft, you will not be able to claim from your insurance policy effectively, costing you thousands of pounds worth of damages. For instance, the average claim for a household robbery in the UK is £1,504 so having Unoccupied Property Insurance is essential.

When would you need Unoccupied Home Insurance?

You officially become eligible for Unoccupied Home Insurance if you are absent from your property for more than 30 days.

There are several reasons why you may be away from your home for an extended period of time including:

✓ an extended holiday or travelling
✓ awaiting probate
✓ the property is awaiting sale
✓ the property is being refurbished
✓ hospital care
✓ long term care
✓ to care for a loved one
✓ work placement

Unoccupied House Insurance Comparison from Call Wiser

At Call Wiser, we work with over 30 leading home insurers in the UK to find the best deal for you. If you compare Unoccupied House Insurance, you are able to receive a number of competitive quotes all in one place and you can find a policy to suit your needs.

Simply call us today for a free and no obligation quote. Our insurance experts are based in Andover, Hampshire and they are ready to take your call. We require a few basic details about your home, how long you plan to leave it unoccupied and an estimate of the contents you wish to cover.

Typically you can take out insurance for unoccupied property for 3, 6 or 9 months from UK insurers with the option to extend at any time. However, insurers probably won’t let you use this Temporary Insurance as a long-term solution, instead preferring you to get a regular annual home insurance policy.

When applying for a policy, you typically want to get Contents Insurance in the event of any valuable items being stolen by thieves or damaged by due to building work, flood, fire or otherwise. Insurers will usually allow you to cover up to £100,000 worth contents such as electronics, gadgets and jewellery. The best thing to do is to calculate the value of all your items and select your cover accordingly.

Even though you are not in your home, you also need to consider Buildings Insurance to cover any structural damage to the property in your absence. Insurers can provide up to £1 million worth of cover, depending on the size of the home, in the event of any damages caused by vandals, squatters or contractors working on the property.

Propert Owners Liability can be added to your policy too to cover any damages that your building may cause to other third parties. For instance, if you are having contractors work on your property and some of the building works damage your neighbours property or perhaps you have a burst water pipe which leaks into next door. This type of insurance will pay towards any compensation to third parties.

How much does Unoccupied Home Insurance cost?

Unoccupied Home Insurance is typically quite expensive and sometimes works out to be more per month than a regular home insurance policy. This is because insurers consider there to be greater risks when the property is empty. Thieves and squatters are more likely to target a house that is unoccupied, and this can put your contents at risk. Furthermore, if there are any damages as a result of a storm or flood, there is the potential for this to impact the property more if it goes unnoticed for some time.

The price you pay for Unoccupied Home Insurance will also depend largely on the value and size of your property. Naturally the bigger the estate, the more valuables it may have and this may be attractive to thieves, thereby pushing up your premium.

Insurers will also consider the level of security in your home when providing a quote. Those homes with a good level of security with secure windows, gates, fences and alarms are less likely to be targeted by thieves and this will reduce the cost of your insurance policy.

If building work is in progress, this may increase the risk of potential damages to walls, floors, ceilings and other third parties, so this will increase the price of your cover.

Requirements for Unoccupied House Insurance

Some insurers will have requirements in place for homeowners to be eligible for Unoccupied House Insurance.

This includes making sure the house is fully secure and completely locked whilst it remains unoccupied to prevent thieves. Another method to discourage criminals is to put the house lights on a timer to make it seem like the house is occupied. You can also ask the neighbour to park in the driveway every other night to make the house seem busy.

To keep your contents safe, insurers encourage policyholders to lock their valuables away or remove them from the property whilst vacating the premises.

Some policies require a family member, friend or neighbour to check the house regularly for any damages whilst the owner is away because this can limit long term damage.

What is not included in Empty Property Insurance

You must read the small print of your policy because there are certain things not automatically included. For instance, Insurers will generally not pay out claims for robberies as a result of unforced entry, when the burglar is able to access the property without force. This is why it is important to lock all windows, doors and gates secure upon exit.

If you are having refurbishments or renovations done to your house whilst you are away, some policies won’t include cover for any damages caused by contractors – so you may have to ask you insurer to add this.

Also, Empty Home Insurance does not include a ‘single items content limit’ which means that you cannot automatically claim for one expensive item in the event of a robbery or natural disaster. So you need to have a Contents Insurance policy in place.

Call Wiser is a trading name of Be Wiser Insurance Services Ltd. Registered in England No. 6097813. Be Wiser Insurance Services Ltd are Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority 465471

Call Wiser, Riverside House, 35-37 Bridge St, Andover, Hampshire, SP10 1BE, 0333 003 3270,