Moped Insurance

At Call Wiser, we compare Moped Insurance deals from over 30 of the leading insurance providers in the UK. Simply give us a call today for a free and no obligation Moped Insurance quote.

A moped is classified as a motorbike with an engine under 50cc and can only travel a maximum of 30 mph. The minimum age for driving a moped is 16 years old which is one year less than the minimum age for driving a car in the UK at 17 years of age.

Mopeds are a fun way to travel and a speedy way to zip in and out of traffic. With a smaller engine size, you pay less for petrol than you would with a regular bike or car and a moped produces low CO2 emissions meaning that it’s better for the environment.

So if you enjoy driving a moped, you need to get Moped Insurance which is a legal requirement in the UK. Under the government’s Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) regulations, all vehicles on the road must have insurance cover in place or risk facing penalties of up to £1,000 and 6 penalty points. (Source: Motor Insurer's Bureau)

Furthermore, if you drive a moped without insurance and get involved in an accident, it could potentially cost thousands of pounds in damages and legal fees which could have been covered by paying only a few hundreds pounds a year for Moped Insurance.


All bike insurance policies include:


Helmet & leathers cover


Mobile and gadget cover


Breakdown cover


UK call centres

How much is Moped Insurance?

The average cost for Moped Insurance depends on the level of cover that you choose and the price increases with the more protection you get on your policy.

Third Party is the most basic level of cover and will pay towards the damages if you are involved in an accident with any third parties including pedestrians, vehicles and other peoples’ property. The average price is £160 per year but this will not cover damages to your own moped, only the costs involved with other third parties.

Third Party, fire and theft also provides cover for third party damages but also protects you in the event of your moped being stolen or damaged as the result of a fire.

Fully comprehensive is the most cover you receive and will pay towards any damages to your vehicle if you are involved in an accident, fire, flood or theft and also for any damages to third parties.

If you need moped cover abroad, you can add an extra policy so that you have European moped cover or international moped cover.

The main factors that influence the price of your insurance includes your age and how much driving experience you have. Insurers see those moped drivers with more time on the road as being more responsible and less likely to be involved in an accident, so they will have a lower premium. This is compared to young drivers with less experience who have a greater chance of making a claim.

The type of vehicle will also affect the price you pay – including the size of the engine and any bike modifications, which will likely demand a higher premium because of the cost to repair bespoke parts.

The annual mileage you drive on your moped plays a big role when assessing your premium. The rule of thumb is: the more miles you do, the more your insurance costs. Casual moped drivers are bound to pay far less if they only use their bikes on weekends or for leisure purposes. This is compared to a driver that uses their moped everyday such as commuters or couriers who are morel likely to make a claim.

If you have safety features for your moped, you can reduce the cost of your moped insurance. By having proper locks, covers or even keeping your moped in a garage over night, you are significantly reducing the risk of potential theft and therefore your premium falls.

Moped Insurance for 16 year olds

Call Wiser offers Moped Insurance Quotes for 16 years of age too. We appreciate that because 16 year olds are younger than car drivers, they need a very bespoke policy and we are happy to find a deal tailored specifically to their needs.

To be able to drive a moped at 16, you must have completed your one day Compulsory Basic Training course to ride with L plates. The cost of this course is a one-off £120 fee. The CBT is valid for two years and then you will be required to take a theory and practical test which upon completion will give you a P licence. (Source: The Telegraph)

What are the other requirements to drive a moped in the UK?

In addition to Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) and having insurance in place, you must do the following to be able to drive a moped legally in the UK.

Registration – you must register your moped with the DVLA before driving on the road.

Tax – you must pay tax on your moped to drive legally on the road. Since the engine is less than 125cc, you vehicle will fall in the lower tax bracket and will only cost around £17 per year in tax.

Moped Insurance Quotes from Call Wiser

At Call Wiser, we work with a number of specialist Moped Insurance companies to help you get the best deal possible. By simply giving us a call today, one of our insurance experts will ask a few simple questions about you and your vehicle and we will search the market to get you the best quote.

When speaking to you on the phone, we will need to know if you have passed Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) to be eligible to ride a moped legally in the UK and whether you have used a moped in the last 12 months.

If you prefer, you can also start filling in a few details online and someone from our team will get back to you today. Call Wiser tries to limit the amount of paperwork required so there are no documents for you to fill in and post off so that we can get you a Moped Insurance Quote as a quick as possible. All insurance policies purchased through Call Wiser include free breakdown cover, mobile, gadget, handbag and wallet cover too.

If you have more than one moped at home, consider the discounts available through purchasing multi bike insurance.

Classic Moped Insurance

If you are part of the classic moped scene and own a classic moped, you can get specific classic Moped Insurance cover. If you have a moped for tradeshow purposes, this type of cover provides protection in the event that your classic vehicle is stolen or damaged when being transported to a show.

If you do not keep your vintage moped on the road, you will be required to apply for a Statutory Off Road Nofitication (SORN) and submit this to the DVLA.

A classic moped can be an art form so having the right protection in place is crucial to protect your beauty. Read more about Classic Bike Insurance here.

Call Wiser is a trading name of Be Wiser Insurance Services Ltd. Registered in England No. 6097813. Be Wiser Insurance Services Ltd are Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority 465471

Call Wiser, Riverside House, 35-37 Bridge St, Andover, Hampshire, SP10 1BE, 0333 003 3270,